INTRODUCTION TO C ELEMENTS..
Generally, Every language has its own basic elements and certainly follows some grammatical rules. While.. Knowing much about programming, one thing is important to understand. And that is about the C ELEMENTS or the basic elements of C language.
Certainly, The basic elements of C language are,
- Character set
- Data types,
- Keywords (reserved words),
- Variable declaration,
- Statements, etc.
Almost all of these play an important role in moulding and constructing a C program.
Following are the descriptions of each of the C elements through which construction of a program takes place.
1. C CHARACTER SET :
- C character set can be defined as a set of alphabets, digits or special symbols used for symbolising information. The characters in the C character set when merged, form Variables.
- Therefore, the characters that we use in C program are –
- ALPHABETS – From [ A to Z ] and From [ a to z ]
- DIGITS – [ 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ]
- SPECIAL CHARACTERS –
2. ESCAPE SEQUENCES :
- Normally, every character which prints on the computer screen is through keyboard. But likewise, there are some characters such as NEWLINE, TAB, BACKSPACE which one can’t print like other normal characters.
- C language supports the amalgation of Backslash ” \ ” and some of the characters from the C character set. Therefore, this amalgation helps in printing these characters. These character combinations are known as Escape Sequences.
- Escape sequences are those C elements which we represent by two characters. The first character is ” \ ” and the second character is from the C character set.
- Some escape sequences are given below.
- Blank, Horizontal tab, Vertical tab, Newline, Carriage return, Form feed are known as WHITESPACE in C Language.